It means “extremely pure” . This is the purification center.
It is located at the throat area.
Function It represents a state of openness in which life is regarded as a provider of experiences that leads to spiritual growth. The social role that evolves as a result of this chakra awakening is to serve as an awakener. You serve as an evolutionary agent in the lives of others. Physically it controls voice, speech and metabolism of the body, vomiting and hiccups. It is the source of udana vayu. Development of psychic powers takes place.
- Thus Chakra has l6 petals. They produce the sounds Am, Aam, Im, Eem, Um, Uum, Rim, Reem, Lrim, Lreem, Em, Aim, Om, Aum, Am, Amha. For chakra activation the sounds are produced as Ang, Aang, Ing, Eeng, Ung, Uung, Ring, Reeng, Lring, Lreeng, Eng, Aing, Ong, Aung, Ang, Angha.
- The Bija sound is Ham or Hang. Vehicle – the snow white elephant ‘Gaja’
- Presiding Deities are Sadashiva and Sakini.
- Plane – Jana Loka; Element- Akash; Planet- Jupiter.
- Sense organs- Ears and Mouth.
- At this center even poisonous and negative aspects of existence becomes integrated into the total scheme of being. They are rendered powerless as concepts of good and bad fall away. Here all the elements of the lower charkas- Earth, Water, Fire and Air are refined to their purest essence and dissolve into Akash. Spoken words of a fifthchakra person are sweet, melodious and penetrates the heart of the listener.
- Yantra- It is a silver crescent within a white circle surrounded by 16 petals. This chakra is the seat of sound in the body. The crescent is symbolic of purity.